1. Smoking in bed or beside flammable substances
2. Re-ignite cigarette not properly extinguished
3. Faulty wiring and reckless use of electrical appliances
4. Unattended stove and gases
5. Children playing with matches
6. Careless use of candle
7. Storage of hazardous chemical and other flammable materials around the house
8. The use of cheap and defective equipments
9. Pouring kerosene into the kerosene tank of a lamp while the lamp is lit
10. Falling asleep while cooking
1. Avoid smoking in bed, and ensure that you douse your cigarettes in water before disposal so that they will not re-ignite.
2. Never leave cooking pots and pans unattended even for a short while.
3. Store hazardous materials such as flammable liquids and gases, paints and chemicals in safe places.
4. Never leave burning candles unattended, and avoid placing them near air vent, plastic, carpet etc.
5. Always put off kerosene lamp before refilling its tank.
6. Never forget to turn off and unplug your electrical appliance after use.
7. Avoid placing flammable substances near sources of heating like the store, fire place, or furnace.
8. Keep matches and other fire-ignited means out of children reach.
9. Ensure that certified electrical engineers are employed to supervise your house wiring.
10. Avoid cooking when you are tired
Abubakar Jimoh is the National Coordinator, Youths Against Disaster Initiative (YADI)